No more allergies!

Friends! I have something I would like to share with you in that hopes that it might help someone suffering from a similar problem. This isn’t fitness related, but it does have to do with your health. If you have allergies, this might make a difference in your life as it did in mine.

So, to start with, I’ve had terrible allergies my whole life. With the exception of food, I’m allergic to just about everything you can be allergic to: ALL furry animals, dust, pollen, grass (not that kind, though), YOUR MOM, etc. I don’t think this is an allergy, but even the day before it rains I would get sinus pressure and pain and lots of congestion. How’s that for a weather forecast? The bottom line is that I have extremely sensitive sinuses.

Up until a few weeks ago, I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my nose was a leaky faucet with no fix. I’m not exaggerating when I say I would have sneezing fits ALL DAY, at home and at work. Regular allergy medicine helped a little, but not much. And Allegra D or Claritin D always made me feel cracked out. Besides, I didn’t want to have to rely on pills to feel normal.

I needed a better solution. One that didn’t involve getting shots for the next 5 years either. (When I was 20 I did get allergy shots for about a year, but stopped because it was difficult to go every week. Plus I had to wait in the office for 30 minutes to see if I had a reaction.)

After Googling, I found a site of personal testimonies singing praises for apple cider vinegar. I’m somewhat familiar with it as it’s touted as a “fat-loss enhancement” in the fitness world. Never tried it though. But I decided to give it a shot for the sake of my allergies. (I use Bragg raw apple cider vinegar and would HIGHLY recommend it.)

I mixed 2 teaspoons with 8 ounces of water. (You can add baking soda if the acidity upsets your stomach. I didn’t have that issue though.) I swear, by the second day my allergies and sinus problems were GONE. Like, completely disappeared. I have never, ever had such an abrupt change in my health like that.

I’ve been drinking diluted ACV for about a month now and I have had no allergy attacks since. This is UNHEARD of for me. Before this, I was in a perpetual state of allergy-induced hell. My weather-related sinus problems haven’t bothered me at all either.

I have no idea what is in ACV that made it work for me, and I can’t make any guarantees that it’ll be the same kind of miracle tonic for anyone else. But speaking from my own experience, it has cleared up my allergies better than anything else I’ve ever tried.

I usually drink it Monday-Friday in the morning. I find that even if I skip a few days my allergies still don’t act up.

If anyone else out there suffers from allergies, give ACV a try and let me know if it works!

Facebook Twitter Email

14 Comments

1. shannon

guess I’ll have to try this. I can’t stand how bad my nose has been for the past month. I’ve always had allergy issues (not quite as bad as yours) but this is getting ridiculous and I’m on enough meds that i refuse to take more. I’ll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the advice.

2. shannon

first day… oh god the taste 0_0 hehe

1. Allie Q

Good luck! I really hope it works for you. If you want to take some of the bite out of it you can add a little sugar. I actually kind of like it with lemon and sugar.

3. Caitlin

This is so apropos as I am in my third week of being sidelined by allergies! (Which have now mysteriously turned into a sinus infection!) I’m going to try this today, because seriously, I am so over coughing and sneezing and blowing my nose all the time. I just want to feel normal again, and if drinking diluted apple cider vinegar will help I’LL DO IT.

1. allie q

Try it out and let me know if it works. Make sure you get the raw unfiltered kind. It needs to have this floaty stuff in it called “the mother” to work. Good luck!

4. melissa dominic

Thanks again for this – I am so going to give this a shot when i get my hands on the acv! I used to used ACV in my hair for a while – another place it is strangely capable (it gave me curls!).

I’ll consider the bit of lemon/sweetener in it as well, if it tastes like poop :/

5. Amber Smith

So, did it work for anyone else? I’m trying it today, but nobody ever posted if it worked after they tried it.

1. Allie Q (Post author)

Hi Amber, it’s been a few months since I’ve posted this and the apple cider vinegar is still working for me. On days that my allergies or sinuses are particularly bad I drink 2 glasses of water with ACV. My friend Melissa who commented here told me she noticed an improvement. I hope it works out for you!

1. Amber Smith

Well it has been two days now. I have severe allergies. My eyes water non-stop. I sneeze or am congested all of the time. I have these terrible bags and dark circles under my eyes, and redness from rubbing them all of the time. It worked beautifully for me yesterday. In the evening my allergies started back up, but I waited until this morning to do another dose. Well it worked just as well today. So I’m drinking a dose right now. I use local honey (also good for allergy prevention) a little lemon, and water. I heat it up to melt the honey. It is actually rather tasty. Thank you for posting this. I feel like this could be a miracle cure for me. If it works for a week, I’m calling all of my friends and family with allergies. I’ll be sure to add a link to your site as well from Facebook. Thanks again!

6. Barbara

Who’s Mom are you allergic to?

7. Robert

I started taking ACV today but for blood sugar issues. I will say that Im hopeful that it will also help my sinuses I cant sleep at night its been about 3 weeks since my sinuses started acting up but I go through this every spring I got to tell you it is miserable so thanks for the tip

8. Leana Ichinotsubo

Shots might seem like an unusual way to treat allergies, but they’re effective at decreasing sensitivity to triggers. The substances in the shots are chosen according to the allergens identified from a person’s medical history and by the allergist during the initial testing. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) oversees the standards used in preparing the materials for allergy shots given in the United States.

1. Allie Q (Post author)

I’ve actually taken allergy shots before, but I just couldn’t keep up with the frequency. Also, five years is a long time to complete the treatment.

9. Dan

I have been allergy free for 10 days now with Apple Cider Vinegar! I have never had anything work so well. No side effects except for being a little nauseous after I take the ACV. I probably take to much, but it clears me up right a way. I was even able to skip a day with no adverse effects. I have had seasonal allergies all my life. Shots, prescriptions medicine, local honey, etc. were all ineffective. Actifed helped much. Not as good as Apple Cider Vinegar. It works for me!